Update – New Shop!
Recently my wife and I moved into a new home, and I now have a dedicated 800 square foot shop! I’m pretty excited to have a dedicated shop that I don’t have to share with cars, bikes, toys, camping equipment, furnaces, water heaters, etc.
The shop is coming together and I am starting to take on small projects. See more about the shop below.
The Upper Cut Woodworks Shop is in our three car garage here at the house. I share the space with my wife’s car and some household storage, so I get a section that is about 25’ x 20’. I’m lucky that there are no posts so the space is wide open with two big windows for natural light. I bought this house new and when I moved in I had the walls insulated & painted, the floors epoxied, lots of lighting and outlets installed, and a little gas stove installed for heat. I take most of my time off from my real job in the winter, so it’s great to have a warm and well-lit shop to work in.
Partial list of Power Tools
- Sjoberg’s nine foot scandinavian workbench
- Powermatic Model 66 Table Saw with router table in the extension
- Grizzly 14” Bandsaw
- Grizzly 8” Jointer
- Grizzly 15″ Planer
- Jet Air Cleaner
- Penn State Dust Collector
- Jet Mortiser (full-size)
- 15” Delta Drill Press
- Router Table with Porter Cable 7518
- DeWalt Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Earlex 6900 HVLP sprayer
- Tormek T7 and Japanese water stones for sharpening
Partial list of Hand Tools
My first important acquisition for hand tool use was my big Sjoberg’s Workbench that I’ve had for ten years. I also have some quality hand tools from Veritas and Lie-Nielsen and some great old Stanley Everlasting chisels that I got at this year’s Woodworking in America conference. They have been a joy to use and are accurate and fast. Here’s some of the hand tools I use most often.
- Lie-Nielsen progressive pitch dovetail saw
- Lie-Nielsen crosscut saw
- Many restored hand saws
- Restored Stanley planes with Hock blades
- New Stanley Sweetheart #4
- New Stanley Sweetheart block plane
- Veritas router plane
- Stanley Everlasting chisels
- Tommy MacDonald marking gauge & mallet
- Starrett comination squares
- Vesper marking tools