[Edit #1: Hayden and I went through the planet maids because we wanted to get done this break, and she’s already added more to the list]
[Edit #2: Updating what’s done]
My family has a hard time shopping for me. I have opinions about my tools, fishing gear, and tech. So this is my attempt at publishing my Christmas list for 2014 and getting your opinion on the specific brands and models too.
What I Want Most
It’s been a busy year moving into Bluebird (our new house) and getting the shop functional. I’d like time to relax, get projects done in the shop, watch the bowl games, and spend time with my family and friends. Seriously, this is what I want most. Oh… and food. Lots of food.
But Wifey has been asking me to create a list. So here it goes…
I have a ton of projects I want to get done around the house
- Clean up the yard before Wifey’s party – done!
- Assemble the firepit for the backyard (burning shop scraps)
- Make some Christmas decorations for yard
- Hang various things for Wifey and hang Hayden’s mirror on a french cleat – mostly done!
- Make a bunch of wooden letter Gs in various fonts and hang on the wall
- Fix a couple cabinet doors
- Get the garbage disposal installed – done!
- Hayden and I need to finish our spoons
- Smoke some meat
- Go through old books and clothes and donate them
- Finish Wifey’s crown-moulding shelves and get them up
- Finish Angie’s drapery rod hanger
- Build a bunch of marking gauges
- Get the guest room closet organizers installed
- Get the shop blinds installed – done!
- Get the shop lights installed
- Get the shop french cleat up and start on the organization
- Build a sanding station
- Build a compressor & air nailer station
- Build a wall-mount First Aid Kit
- Build a Deneb sharpening station
- Take the King bed to Crescent bar and get the garage clean
- Any home maintenance (septic system UV light, refrigerator water line, …)
- Septic system – done!
- Refrigerator water line – done!
Woodworking Related or Gifts for the Shop
- A dovetail marker. Lie-Nielsen or similar.
- A good moisture meter. Reviews on these are old. I need a recommendation.
- Bandsaw wheel brushes. Highland Woodworking 189104 or similar. This one looks fine.
Blinds for my shop windows. Already ordered fromSelectBlinds.com.
- Router Bit survival kit from Eagle America. I find myself changing bearings on bits sometimes.
- A killer, awesome, fantastic, ridiculous dado set.
- The Easy Wood Tools midi set (all three), for when I get my lathe up and running.
- Bessey strap clamp, you know, this one time at band clamp…
- These. Lots and lots of these.
A cell phone holder,like this, for my truck. Gotta work with my Lumia 1020.
- This delicious Incra Miter Gauge 1000HD.
Hot fresh coffee. Anytime from thislittle Keurig. A new shop TV. Yeah, I’m spoiled like that but I like the games on in the background.
- A drill press table with all the bells and whistles. Yeah, I have one that I made, but it’s seen better days.
- A spline jig. Yes, I could build one, but I want to build furniture, not shop fixtures.
- Another router. A smaller one with a great base. I’m thinking this DeWalt. I have a Bosch colt, but the base is poor with bad height adjustment.
A belt and disc sander. I like thisone from Grizzly but the table is very small and the dust collection looks shady.
- A new shop calendar from Lie-Nielsen.
- This marker is perfect. I need a bunch of these from Lee Valley.
- You never have enough Robertson bits.
- The Mk II honing guide is deluxe.
- At some point I’m going to need to upgrade my Drill Press. I’d love electronic variable speed and a lot of distance between the spindle and column.
- If I can’t get my free lathe working well, someday I’ll upgrade that. Electronic variable speed as well. Is this really an electronic variable speed lathe?
- I haven’t pulled the trigger on a new cyclone yet, mostly because I’m trying to find a 5HP cyclone that will work with 96″ ceiling height.
- Anything from Tommy Bahama.
- A BlueTooth receiver for the stereo in Crescent Bar.
Tri-fold wallet. Dopp Kit (Men’s travel kit).No men’s purses please.
- Cool entry mats for the house and shop would be cool.
- Dents and rearview camera fixed on the truck.
- Really good binoculars for Crescent Bar.
I don’t need anything fishing related, and I don’t need any clothes. I don’t want or need any sweaters (did you read that Mom?).
The list is long enough, it already makes me look like a needy woodworker.
What’s on your Christmas list?
So tell me in the comments, what’s on your list? What websites have the best gift-guides? For the things on my list above what are your opinions and recommendations? What’s on your Christmas list?