Today GAKMAN and I worked on the face frame for the Fish Tank Stand. For this face frame I did things a little different:
- I used pocket hole screws and my new Kreg jig
- I cut a rabbet along the back of the frame so it would fit in to the case work
The pocket hole screws helped create a strong and square frame, and the rabbet let me use glue to attach it to the case work. I’m not a fan of nails showing on face frames and trim, or the tell-tale wood putty filled nail holes. Gluing it up was a bit of a trick, but a dry run helped a lot. I highly recommend going through a dry run of you glue-up to figure out where and how you’ll clamp pieces together.
Here’s the piece with the face frame on and the glue dry, just the bottom piece is still in clamps with a sloped caul.
Check out the tight fit between the face frame and the case. My Stanley Sweetheart block plane really cleaned the case up well.
Here’s another shot. Don’t worry about that end grain at the top, the entire cabinet is getting a mitered maple trim along the top and bottom.
I did use nail along the top of the frame, since that will be hidden by the trim.
You can see that one of the nails unfortunately blew out through the top. Not sure that it need to be repaired because the tank will cover it. That’s why we used a secondary wood for the top.
It was good to get back in the shop, and I have a backlog of posts coming your way, including: