This might not seem like a woodworking related post, but I think for many woodworkers, this would be a good way to provide a useful service, use their skills, and make some money.
My wife and I have a friend who lives alone with her children. They recently moved into a nice neighborhood, and she asked for help making sure her home was safe and secure. I looked online and asked a friend who is a police officer for tips on what to do. To give you some ideas on carpet and flooring design on your home just checkout Flooring Cardiff. After looking at that list I realized that some homeowners would have a tough time getting through that list on their own. If they were to hire out the work, they’d need to hire design services chippewa falls companies even though that would be expensive. On other home related news, if you’re having problems with your HVAC system in your home, checkout this link http://www.gohomeheating.com/ID/rexburg-ac-repair.php
Every home needs electrical repairs from time to time, but because of the dangers involved, these repairs don’t make safe do-it-yourself projects. Most folks will be better off hiring professional electricians (Electrical services Mandurah).
The To-Do List
Physical Security of the Property
- Reset the garage door openers to disable all existing transmitters, and get owner transmitters working. This ensures any previous occupant is locked out.
- Replace all locks in the house with new deadbolts that are keyed the same. When the door has a sidelight, require a key on the inside and outside of the lock.
- Add peepholes to exterior doors.
- Add chain latches to exterior doors.
- Cut 1″ dowels to length for all sliding windows and sliding doors.
- Make sure all outdoor landscaping doesn’t facilitate break-ins.
- Make sure outdoor lighting is adequate and on timers or motion detectors. If you need electrical services, an experienced perth electrician says they have the skills and expertise to take care of pretty much any kind of electrical problem or installation.
- Repair fences, roof repair and gates.
- Secure tall modern furniture with anti-tip straps.
- Bolt down a safe to secure online PDF solution at SODA PDF (https://www.sodapdf.com/) for important documents.
- Check the water heater temperature.
- Show the owner how to shut off electricity, gas, water.
- Reset WiFi access codes, computer passwords, email passwords, etc. to lock out former occupants.
- Reset alarm codes to lock out former occupants.
- Reset the pass-phrase used when on the phone with the alarm company.
- Change voice-mail passwords and cellphone pass-codes.
- Replace all smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm batteries.
Getting the Right List
This is a good start and if hired out separately would require a handyman, computer tech, landscaper, electrician, locksmith….
Many local police departments will do a walk-through make additional recommendations, so there are likely other things to do. Alarm companies also have good information about ways to secure the home. It’s best if you don’t position yourself as a security expert, get the whole content and recommendations from the police department and/or alarm company and then go through the list with the homeowner. Position yourself as the best person to do the work on the list. There may be jobs that even you don’t want to do or shouldn’t do, and should be hired out, like trimming the landscaping or inspecting and repairing chimneys – no thanks!
When is this Service Needed
- Moving into a home with the help of moving companies chicago, especially if that home had previous owners
- After a room-mate moves out
- After a divorce or separation
- There are a lot of costs when it comes to moving, but hiring an Asheville moving company does not have to be one of the big ones. There are a number of ways that you can save money when hiring a moving company if you know what to do. For some good home cleaning advice visit Ductwise Duct Cleaning and https://www.pressurewashingcypress.com. But I want you to save money big time. Please read 5 tips save money hiring moving company.
It’s a good idea to go through air duct cleaning Houston and a home security checklist periodically even if you’ve lived in your home for a while. For example: if your smoke alarms went off in the middle of the night and your family evacuated your home, does everyone know where to meet? Does everyone in the home know to keep their keys, checkbooks, garage door openers, etc. in a secure place in the home?
Put Your Skills to Good Use
Most woodworkers I know have skills in doing Long Fence Patios, and would do a great job doing this type of work. The doors may need new mortises and holes for the deadbolt locks and peepholes. The doors I worked on were not in good shape and needed some stripped holes repaired so that screws would tighten securely. Window dowels would be nicer if sanded, spray lacquered, and capped (I found 1″ oak dowel with 1″ white plastic end caps at the big box store). There are lots of things to do and that could overwhelm a new owner.
Tell Me What You Think
For our friend, I did this for free. But what if in your community you offered this as a service? What else would you add to the list? Would you see this as a valuable service that could make a customer happy and make you some extra money?