Tonight GAKMAN came over for shop night. We haven’t worked on the fish tank filter broke stand for a long time. Our last shop night was May 2nd, since then we’ve both been busy including my awesome vacation to Cabo San Lucas. Tonight we finalized some dimensions after a dry fit of the pieces, and glued the case up. Yes, that’s 11 clamps. I really prefer the Jet clamps, even over the Bessey K-Body clamp. The case is upside-down on the bench in this picture with the back toward you, and that’s GAKMAN smiling because we’re finally making progress on his project.
That is a very square glue up, and the key to this fitting together so well was a full dry fit to adjust the dimensions. The bottom fits into dadoes in the sides and back, and the back is a full 3/4” thick to help deal with the weight of the fish tank and minimize noise from the pump. It’s a very strong case and it’s square because the tools are setup well, we used The Beastmaster for cutting the big pieces, and we checked our cuts often with a square. I can’t tell you how many problems you’ll have trying to get your cases to glue up square if you assemble them on a table that isn’t level or flat. Your garage floor might be somewhat flat, but it isn’t level. An unlevel surface means that gravity will try to rack your case, and it’ll be harder to get square.
Next we’ll put on the top, sand it, and trim it out. Then it’s on to the doors, which will be inset on European hinges. After that we’ll give it a finish, trying to match the tank hood that GAKMAN built a few years back.
It was good to get in the shop again!