Thomas Walnut Dresser: Trim is Done!



Progress

Well tonight in the shop I definitely had the flow. My oldest daughter Katie was actually out in the shop helping. She had the easy jobs: rip pieces of tape, sweep, and hold things in place. The front of the dresser now has solid walnut 1/4” thick trim on all the horizontals and verticals. the pieces fit tight and look good. No pictures though, the camera was missing an SD card. I’ll take pictures when I take the tape off tomorrow or Wednesday. I plan on taking a day off this week to make progress on the drawer boxes.

Remaining Work

  1. Build the drawer boxes
  2. Install the drawer boxes
  3. Cut and trim the faces for the drawers
  4. Install the drawer faces
  5. Install drawer pulls (see below)
  6. Finish
  7. Deliver

Drawer Pull Test

I’ve decided I’m going to make a jig to install the handles, but I won’t install them until I conduct a test. The customer would like the pulls in the top corners of the drawers, and I want to make sure that’s going to work before I drill through the faces. If my test fails, I’ll contact them to see what they’d like to do. I’m confident it will work because I’m using some high quality slides, but I want to be sure. I may install the drawer pulls on site when I deliver.

I think the test will go like this:

  1. Use tape to create a pull in the top corner of the smallest and largest drawer
  2. Load the drawer with some weight
  3. Have my wife or daughter open and shut the drawer 20 or so times

Delivery Date

I’m officially four weeks behind, and now I’m shooting for April 25th for delivery. I completely underestimated the complexity of the build, the amount of hand work involved, and the amount of time I’d have to dedicate to the build. Luckily, my wonderful wife has been really supportive, and the customer has been great.

Leave a Reply